Imagine ordering an icy "caipirinha" on the beach at Ipanema, all in Portuguese! The ever-popular PORTUGUESE in 10 minutes a day® Book comes with interactive software, full of fun computer activities including interactive Sticky Labels, Flash Cards and more! You'll learn everything you'll need for your travels, from making reservations to ordering a meal and finding your way around town. This book/software combo is not just another language book for your shelf; it's a complete, and fun, hands-on language learning experience that will help you live your travel adventures!
- The 10 minutes a day® Series is your first step in language learning. This program lays the groundwork to springboard you to the next level. You'll understand how the components of the language work so you'll have the freedom to use the language for any situation.
- The 10 minutes a day® method guarantees success—all you need to do is set aside 10 minutes a day. When you do a little bit every day, you reinforce your learning and progress quickly. Whether you're doing the exercises or playing with the interactive modules, being consistent every day will help you to become comfortable and make this new language yours.
- The program is designed so you can work at your own pace. There is no set speed or time limit. If you want to do more than 10 minutes a day, keep going. Just remember, let the process be fun.
- Designed to look like a child's workbook, the 10 minutes a day® book is an approachable and fun program for everyone. It covers the material equivalent to more than a year of high school Portuguese or the first quarter of Portuguese at university. It's a refreshing alternative to boring textbooks and you'll be surprised at how much you learn.
- The program focuses on words you'll use when traveling. You'll learn Key Question Words so you can ask for what you need; money and numbers so you can shop and pay bills; directions so you can get around town smoothly, and so much more to make your experiences abroad enjoyable.
- Study aids and fun activities such as word games, puzzles and interactive modules are academically sound and strategically interwoven into the program. They're engaging and most importantly, they're designed to help you succeed.
- Interactive software, Sticky Labels, and Cut-out Menu Guides make learning more playful. Do an exercise in the book then place your Sticky Labels around your home. Use the interactive software to review during coffee breaks. Take the Cut-out Menu Guide to your local restaurant and practice ordering in your new language. It's just that easy and it's just 10 minutes a day!
- PORTUGUESE in 10 minutes a day® language learning software:
Use the interactive modules to hear the words, practice and play, track your score and have fun! (PC and Mac friendly)
- The 132-page illustrated workbook:
Use the book to guide you, step-by-step, through learning and speaking Portuguese.
- Full color throughout:
Color illustrations and an easy-to-read format visually engage you.
- 150 Sticky Labels (both in the book and for your computer):
Place the Sticky Labels around your home and office to learn new words without any extra time or effort. Use the interactive Sticky Labels module on your computer to hear the words, practice and improve.
- Ready-made Flash Cards (both in the book and for your computer):
Take the ready-made Flash Cards with you and review your vocabulary on the go. Use the interactive Flash Card module on your computer to hear the words and test yourself.
- Cut-out Menu Guide:
Practice at your local restaurant and take it on your trip.
- Pronunciation Guide:
With the Guide and simple phonetics above each Portuguese word, it's easy to begin speaking Portuguese with the correct pronunciation.
- Over 300 "Free Words":
Sounding similar to their English counterparts, these Portuguese words take no extra effort to add to your vocabulary.
- Glossary of over 2,000 new words, definitions, and pronunciation:
You can quickly look up a Portuguese word, its pronunciation and definition.
PORTUGUESE in 10 minutes a day® and PORTUGUESE a language map® focus on the Portuguese spoken in Brazil. There are some differences in vocabulary and pronunciation between Continental Portuguese and Brazilian Portuguese, however, each is understood by the other. A fair comparison would be British English to American English. Forms of verbs, nouns and adjectives are generally the same. The differences are most apparent in the choice of vocabulary and syntax, particularly in the spoken language.
Continental Portuguese tends to have a softer sound, and often the word endings are swallowed. Brazilian Portuguese does not swallow the word endings, and the vowel sounds are clearly pronounced. The nasal sounds tend to be more heavily nasalized in Brazilian Portuguese.
In Brazil the letter “r” is pronounced as an “h” at the beginning of a word so the name of the world-famous city of Rio is actually pronounced “hee-oo.” In addition, an “s” at the end of a word will vary in pronunciation depending upon which area of Brazil someone is from, as well as whether someone is from Brazil or Portugal.
Examples of similarities and differences: